1. FESTIVAL OBJECTIVES
The 11 th edition of the Almeria Western Film Festival (AWFF), organized by the Town Council of Tabernas, has as main objective the dissemination and promotion of western films that contribute to the knowledge of world cinematography.
In addition, the festival adds value to the place where it is celebrated: the Desert of Tabernas, which has been inspirational and the protagonist in a significant number of international films of different genres over the years, and has turned out in a valuable cinematographic heritage.
2. DATE OF THE FESTIVAL
The 11th edition of the Almeria Western Film Festival will take place between October 8th and 11th 2021, in Tabernas and the Western villages Oasys Mini Hollywood and Fort Bravo Texas Hollywood.
3. COMPETITIVE SECTIONS
The festival will have, among its various activities, three film competition sections that will offer a panoramic view of current western films at both the national and international level:
- FULL-LENGTH WESTERN FILMS OFFICIAL SECTION:
National and international full-length films (from 60 minutes) produced after 1st July 2019. The works must be of the western or neowestern genre, understanding the latter as an adaptation of the codes and conventions of the genre to a contemporary setting. Animation or documentary works will also be accepted as long as their theme includes the western.
The films can have premiered in other national and international festivals prior to the AWFF; however, the selection committee appreciates films that premiere for the first time at the AWFF festival. This section can count on films that will not be eligible for the judges’ prizes (although they may be considered for the Audience Award).
The submission of works in progress will be accepted. This production status must be pointed out when submitted to the platform, checking the appropriate box or indicating it in parenthesis following the title.
- SHORT WESTERN FILMS OFFICIAL SECTIONS:
Films of Spanish origin and foreign films with a maximum duration of 20 minutes (including film credits) and a premiere date after January 1st, 2020.
The films can have premiered in other national and international festivals prior to the AWFF; however, the selection committee appreciates films debuted for the first time at the AWFF. This section can count on films that will not be eligible for the judges’ prizes.
- WESTERN FILMS SCHOOL TRAINING SPECIAL SECTION
Audiovisual Works of Spanish origin with a maximum duration of 10 minutes (including credits) and a premiere date after January 1st, 2020. The director and a considerable part of the technical team must have been enrolled in a professional training center, academy, film school, or public or private university in Spain during the academic year 2019/2020 or 2020/2021. The type of work (fiction, video creation, documentary, false commercial, video clip, etc.) is at your discretion, but all works must be characterized by the use of western code in their language.
To register, it is compulsory to fill out the attached form: ATTACHMENT I
AWFF 2021, like in the previous editions, will take special care to select films in both the full-length and in the short film sections and ensure the inclusion of Spanish films, European films and Ibero-American films, as well as national and international premieres.
A Committee will evaluate all of the works registered and will select the finalists between July 16st and August 10th 2021. Decisions made by the selection committee will not be subject to appeal.
The festival’s organizing team will communicate the selection of the finalists to the producers of the works and/or their representatives as soon as possible. The representatives are committed to keeping the selection of finalists confidential until the festival publishes the official sections on its website and other media.
4. OTHER REQUIREMENTS FOR THE PARTICIPATION OF THE WORKS
The films registered to participate in the AWFF 2021 must fulfill, in addition to all the above, the following conditions:
- The formats of the copies must be adapted to the technical requirements for each section of the festival, preferably to the .mov or .mp4 file format. Those works that do not take into account the technical specifications required to be publicly screened may be rejected.
- The participants pledge not to remove the works from the official section once they have been selected and the producers and/or representatives have been notified.
- Once the selection of works for the competition sections have been notified, the participants will have 20 calendar days –between 11th and August 31th 2021- to send the screening copies through a download link to the following email addresses:
The participants can also send the screening copies by regular mail to the following address:
Excmo. Ayuntamiento de Tabernas
Calle Mirlo, 1
04200 Tabernas (Almería) SPAIN
The festival reserves the right to remove from competition any works not received within the established period.
- The copies can be screened in original version with subtitles in Spanish or English –for Spanish-language films- or films dubbed in Spanish. The participants must provide the subtitles of the works, including them in an image file when they send the screening copies.
- Likewise, the participants must send the advertising material for the selected work as soon as possible since they moment they get the confirmation of have been selected: film poster, three advertising pictures in high resolution, list of credits, synopsis in Spanish and English (maximum 3 lines), age category, a photograph and the biography of the director (maximum 5 lines). This file folder (ZIP, Wetransfer, etc.) must be sent to the following email addresses:
- The communication for each film selected by the festival is strictly confidential between the organization (Town Council of Tabernas), the team in charge of the management of the festival and the producers or representatives of the film invited until the festival decides to announce it officially.
5. AWARDS AND JURY
The awards for each official section taking part in the competition -full-length films, short films and film school training- will be:
FULL-LENGTH FILMS COMPETITION OFFICIAL SECTION
- AWARD FOR THE BEST FULL-LENGTH WESTERN FILM
It will be awarded by the Jury of the Official Section of full-length films to the best full-length fiction work.
Note: if the number of films presented makes it possible to choose among different types of western genres, we reserve the right to give two different awards: “Award for the Best Western” and “Award for the Best Neo-western”.
- AWARD FOR TECHNICAL-ARTISTIC CONTRIBUTION TO THE WESTERN GENRE
It will be awarded by the Jury of the Official Section of Full-lengths Films to a professional, of both the technical and artistic team, who has contributed to the spread and renovation of the international western genre.
- AWARD FOR THE BEST PERFORMANCE
It will be awarded by the Jury of the Official Section of Full-length Films to an actor or actress who has played the principal role or a minor role in one of the films taking part in competition.
Note: We reserve the right to give two different awards: “Award for the Best Female Performance” and “Award for the Best Masculine Performance”.
- AUDIENCE AWARD FOR THE BEST FULL-LENGTH WESTERN FILM
It will be awarded by the audience members who have attended all of the film screenings of the Official Section and the Special Section.
SHORT FILMS COMPETITION OFFICIAL SECTION
- AWARD FOR THE BEST WESTERN SHORT FILM
It will be awarded by the Jury of the Official Section of Short Films to the best fictional short film.
SPECIAL COMPETITION SECTIONS
- AWARD FOR BEST PRACTISE IN FILM SCHOOL TRAINING
It will be awarded by the Jury of the Official Section of Short Films for the best practice in audiovisual short films.
- CANAL SUR RADIO AWARD FOR THE AUDIOVISUAL CREATION IN ANDALUCIA
It will be given to a producer, director or scriptwriter from Andalucia, or to the best audiovisual work, in any of its modalities, specially short films and documentaries, presented at any of the Andalusian audiovisual competitions.
- RCSERVICE AWARD FOR THE BEST PHOTOGRAPHY DIRECTION OF A SPANISH WORK
The RCService Award will be given to a director of photography of a Spanish work (full-length films or short films)
The awards for each section of the competition will include:
- A trophy designed with the logo of the festival that includes an engraved text at the base referencing the award.
- A prize valued economically, in collaboration with entities and partner agencies collaborating with the festival.
- Cash prizes are not included.
The decision of the Jury will not be subject to appeal.
Taking part into the competition means the full acceptance of these regulatory bases. In case of misunderstanding any of the bases exposed in this document or any other aspect not included here, the interpretation and the opinion of the festival’s direction will be crucial. The original document you can find it available and updated in the following link http://www.almeriawesternfilmfestival.es/en/regulations/
Personal data will be treated in accordance with the current legislation (Ley orgánica 15/1999).
6. HOW TO PARTICIPATE
The registration of films submitted to competition for the different sections of the festival is free of charge. To participate, please proceed as follows:
1) FILMS SUBJECT TO ANALYSIS AND SELECTION
The producer, the director or the exhibitor of the full-length or short films will register their works. The registration period will be open from May 20th to July 15st, 2021.
The official way to register is through the following platforms:
In any case, all participants must complete the registration form with all the necessary data.
2) FILMS SELECTED FOR COMPETITION
The films selected by the evaluation committee should be sent to the festival before 23:59 on August 31th, 2021, along with the corresponding promotional materials. All materials must include a press-book, and must be sent in digital format to these email addresses:
The online distribution of the materials will be done through the area reserved for the media on the official web site of the festival:
Likewise, you should send at least two printed posters to the postal address of the festival:
Excmo. Ayuntamiento de Tabernas
Calle Mirlo, 1
Código postal: 4200 Tabernas (Almería) España
3) PROGRAMMING SPECIAL COVID-19
The Organization of the Almeria Western Film Festival will establish the order and the date of screening for each film. Once the participation of the film has been confirmed, it cannot be withdrawn from the festival.
By registering, you accept these terms, as well as the resolution by the Organization of any event not included here.
The Festival Organization may cancel or postpone the event in case of force majeure, the participants assuming this risk. The face-to-face celebration will depend in any case on the authorization by the health authorities and subject to the security protocols that are recommended and / or established.
FESTIVAL HEADQUARTERS AND CONTACT
The festival headquarters are located in Tabernas:
Excmo. Ayuntamiento de Tabernas
Calle Mirlo, 1
04200 Tabernas (Almería) España
Tel. (+34) 950 36 50 02
Web Site: www.almeriawesternfilmfestival.es
Office hours: Monday to Friday, from 9:00 a.m. to 15:00 p.m. approx.